NETBibleTagger

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Autonomy

One of the scariest aspects of existing in the image of God is that we can make decisions about our actions (Philippians 1:27), attitudes (Philippians 2:5; 4:4-5) and thought life (Philippians 4:8).

If I had a friend who had no desires of his own but was always ready to comply with my every request, I would be suspicious of his motives. Even if he had no hidden agenda, but simply hero-worshipped me, I could not regard him as a close friend. Likewise, my marriage would be boring if my wife did not have hopes, dreams and interests of her own. Part of my duty as a spouse is to help her realise them. The relationship would obviously be dysfunctional if her objectives and mine constantly clashed.

In the same way God expects his friends to pursue goals because he puts them in their hearts (Philippians 2:13). Problems arise when their agenda takes precedence over his. Since I carry God's image, I have a responsibility to act in a way which is not contrary to his nature. Sin is to miss one's goal, like a marksman missing his target. God takes a dim view of those who turn his image into that of a monster like some tyrants have done.

To a large extent we have power over what we choose to believe. I want to believe there is a heaven and that I will not be sharing it with Hitler, Stalin or Mao Zedong. That wonderful place will be inhabited by people who have pure hearts (Matthew 5:8). I don't have complete power over what is in my heart (Jeremiah 17:9). By cooperating with my Creator and receiving new heart (Psalm 51:10; Hebrews 10:16) I can overcome my evil tendencies and (Romans 7:24). That is what makes me eligible for a place in heaven (John 1:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment